So I spent the Thanksgiving weekend in Virginia – nice little 13 hour road trip up and down from Tallahassee. I wanna send shoutouts to the students at the University of Virginia, and the staff at Plan 9 record stores in Charlottesville, and also the staff at CD Warehouse in West Bumfuck, S.Carolina – y’all are some dumb muhfuckas. What half-baked student sold their OG pressings of “Operation Doomsday”, Shinehead’s “Unity”, Blahzay Blahzay’s album, and Main Source’s “Breakin’ Atoms”? What fool of a record store owner then put them on sale for $1.99? You suckas. And as these are all spare copies for me, Ebay will be calling soon…
As well as these, I picked up a gang of other stuff at ridiculously low prices – some shit I’ve been after for a minute but didn’t want to splash out full price for (La Chat – Murder She Spoke, a couple of early Eightball & MJG pieces amongst others), and some other stuff that I already have but that fools should pay a tidy price for on Ebay once I throw up these extra copies along with the joints above (Tairrie B’s “Power Of A Woman”, the first 3 Fat Boys albums, CB4 soundtrack, Humanreck album and a few others).
I also got a shitload of vinyl from Plan 9 too – some overlooked shit indeed, which I will rip the best of to share with y’all – too much to mention here now though – I’m still sorting through it all…
Other outstanding highlights from the trip…
As if to prove that people from these places are idiots, we saw some cat reading a book while driving at 80 mph in North Carolina. I managed to operate a phone and drive at 85mph in order to take a pic. I am not an idiot.
Discussion on the way up about the top 5 handicapped rappers… my list was:
1) Bushwick Bill – inch high private eye AND one headlamp = double trouble!
2) Khujo from Goodie Mob – one peg, world party
3) DJ Paul from Three 6 & D-Roc from Ying Yang – tied for third due to shared ownership of the Beadle award. I bet they’re game for a laugh.
4) Preech-man – one off your radar – the first rapper on crutches!!!
5) MC Hawking (I’m only putting this cat in here because there was some group who proudly boasted of having a member with no arms or no legs or some shit, and I can’t remember their name. This was their MAIN selling point. “Hey look, we have a rapping torso!”)
And it seems that the Carolinas are Laffy Taffy crazy… the shit was never OFF the radio on my way through. The novelty wore off for me a couple of months ago. Please stop the madness now.
Today €™s listening list
Arythmetic ft Dan-E-O – Gwan Tell
Bushman – Yes Man Jah
CL Smooth – Warm Outside
Geto Boys – My MALT’S Playing Tricks On Me
Goapele – Go Remix
Kid Creole & The Coconuts – Stool Pigeon
Positive & LG – A Good Combination (Remix)
UTFO – Bite It
(download it here)