…and a superstrong freestyle session from the talented Tallahassee taskforce…
–edit– I just noticed a great big cock on the doorframe in the front of that photo above… cocks are Hiphop (but only on Tuesdays)
I’d had this Primo tribute mix planned for a slot on the station since September but the old/new school mix and the freestyle session with K.C. that went off that day overran (audio link updated), which meant I had to put the shit on hold to a later date… which just happened to be Saturday past.
So… um… here it is…
01) Gang Starr – Mass Appeal
02) Gang Starr – The ? Remains
03) Gang Starr – Code Of The Streets
04) Gang Starr – Bust Ya Shit
05) Group Home – Livin’ Proof
06) Nas – Nas Is Like…
07) Tony Touch – The Piecemaker
08) Freddie Foxxx – R.N.S
09) Termanology – Watch How It Go Down (Instrumental)
10) Capone-N-Norega – Invincible
11) Common – The 6th Sense
12) Jeru The Damaja – D.Original
13) Big L ft Big Daddy Kane – Platinum Plus
14) Arrested Development – Ease My Mind (Primo Remix)
15) Gang Starr – Take It Personal*
16) Gang Starr – 2 Deep (City Lick Mix)
17) Jeru The Damaja – Ya Playin’ Yaself
18) Screwball – F.A.Y.B.A.N. (Instrumental)**
19) The Lox – Recognize (Instrumental)
20) The Notorious BIG – Kick In The Door (Instrumental)
21) Gang Starr – Speak Ya Clout
22) O.C. – Time’s Up***
Not really that much to say about it except that
– its a Primo mix, so you know the tracks will be illy,
– the DJ is a handsome bastard,
* going out of ‘Take It Personal’ into ‘2 Deep’ you’ll hear the audio turn to poo for a minute or so – the master recording at the station gapped out (because of a cd change out) so I pasted in the super-low quality audio stream to keep things flowing nicely, and as I’ve already pointed out to a few people, if you pretend you’re listening to a dub of a dub of a dub of your brother’s cousin’s friend’s neighbor’s cassette tape that he recorded off the radio, then you get a ‘Keeps It Really Real’ badge – hiss IS Hiphop.
** wouldn’t it be fun to slip up and play the raw version of this on air?
*** yes pedants (and paedophiles) I know this isn’t a Primo beat, but the run of all instrumentalss at the end of the mix was because I thought the emcees were ready to freestyle… instead they were mic-checking, looking moody, fixing afros, keeping it real (yo), and all other kinds of bullshit that stopped them actually stepping up to the plate, so when I ran the O.C. joint they were ready… and then they weren’t… being late for interviews (and freestyles) IS Hiphop.
So once the freestyles started, I switched beats up fairly regularly, and fun was had by all. This was probably THE super duperest freestyle session that I’ve been a part of up at the station, and K.C., Isreal, Jay-C & the CrossBreed fellas all deserve a cyber pound (nh) for their efforts. Extra props to the gracious host, the inimitable Mr Jackson , who couldn’t resist bringing some heat himself and DJ Acrojam for shouting my name very loudly, and for going out to get a Freeway CD (and for all the other station coordinator type things she does.)